I love slaw. I love it just about any way it is made. However, with mayonnaise not high on my family’s list of condiments, I had to find a way to have my slaw and they would, too.
This mayonnaise-free slaw has ingredients that make you forget its humdrum white blandness. Fresh chopped ginger, fish sauce, chili sauce, hot mustard — can you say zesty and refreshing?
It certainly is more fun to write about cole slaw than it is to write about how much my #cancersucks. Besides, everyone knows there are always great things cooking at #eatatmoms!
Refreshing Ginger Cole Slaw
- Shredded cabbage (this melts down a lot so make more than you think you’ll need)
- Shredded carrot
- Shredded bell pepper
For the dressing:
- Julienned ginger, chopped in thirds (so take two inches of fresh ginger, peel it and cut it into thin slices. Stack them and julienne them into matchsticks. Take those matchsticks and cut them in thirds. You have pieces that are about 3/4 inches long and very thin. You taste it before you see it.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Whisk Dressing ingredients in large bowl until emulsified. Add shredded vegetables and toss gently until the slaw is coated well. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until it’s time to eat.
A great potluck dish that will have everyone clamoring for your recipe!
This sounds great and I’m going to try it!
Looks tasty! 🙂